Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Finally Bought a Single A7 - Evaluate purchase please....

  1. #1
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Pictures Continued:

    42

    43

    44

    45

  2. #2
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Since it's been awhile since I started my posts about my search for a single VOTT A7 for a matching center channel for my theater, I thought I would start a new post to get some knowledgeable opinions on the one I finally picked up here locally in Georgia.... did I do ok? Should I keep looking for another one.... thoughts, opinions, that kind of thing. Now I know I am going to have to replace the guts since it's really just an Altec box with a Electro Voice speaker inside, but I'll take any thoughts on the Electro Voice as well. Any thoughts on what I can get for it, opinions on it's sound. I figured I would use it as is as my center until I can put together the matching Altec parts from ebay.... anyway.... here are the pics (1st one is the original pick sent to me by Seller - he had a lot of cool speakers and projects at his house):

    2

    46

    47

    One question I have... on the center panel in the picture above you can see how it screws into the speaker cabinet. On mine it looks like it's part of the cabinet. Does my pair just have the screw holes filled in with wood putty and then painted, or is this something odd here?

    48

    49

    50

    I took the close up picture above because even though there are plenty of gouges, knicks and scratches in this speaker it is overall visually appealing.... this is the only "major" damage. Which I think will be an easy repair.

    Pictures Continued in next post (only allows 6 pictures per post)....

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ September 08, 2008 02:05 PM: Message edited by: ClassicComics ]</font>

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So how does it sound?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Haven't hooked it up at the house yet, but it sounded good when he hooked it up to his system when I went to buy it. Very clean sounding.....

  5. #5
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    15TRX is a good driver, probably not as sought-after as the 12TRXb but I would think you could get some money for it anyway. Maybe couple hundred?

    Dave

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can't seem to wrap my hands around your question about the panel. Yours looks the same as mine but I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Maybe this will help.... here is a close-up of the center piece on one of my current pair. I got mine from a friend of mine probably 10 years ago, and he painted them for me etc... so my guess then is that he filled in the screw holes and painted them.... also notice how the sides of the woofer area on mine look almost like one pice of wood instead of two coming together....

    40

    41

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Both vent baffle boards on the 810, 825 series were meant to be removable, so any screw holes and seams have been filled in by a previous owner.

    GM

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OK, now I see what you mean.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Possibly of use...

    39

    Dave

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.